Projects, projects, projects...

Projects, projects, projects...

It has been a while since I've gotten around to posting anything. Ive been so busy with the move and all the projects for this house! I am loving it. Our house is amazing and I am so in love! I have just been working on making it my own.

Dining Table

The first project we worked on was our dining room table. We knew we'd have a big dining room so I really wanted a nice table to go in it. I found an awesome website through pintrest that has a ton of building plans and even comes with shopping lists. Perfect for a beginner woodworker. I went through all the plans with Jesse and we chose one we both agreed on. Here is the link to the website. It is Ana White and I highly recommend you check out her website if you want to do any of your own projects. Ok so this is what our table was supposed to look like.
We got all the plans printed out and our shopping list ready. My father in law told us he had a bunch of tongue and groove wood from their house we could use for the table top. So we adjusted the measurements to fit these wood pieces based on the 2x6 measurement he said they were. We then got all the materials and went to my in-laws to get to work. When we got there we realized that the tongue and groove pieces were actually 2x5 so we had to adjust the length of the frame of the table. We then cut all the wood and began putting it together. There were many hiccups as this is my first woodworking project but overall I think it went pretty well. Once we had everything together we realized we had a problem. 


After 12 hours of work and all the measurement adjustments we realized we forget to adjust the measurements on the legs. With the table together we realized you couldn't slid a chair under the table where the legs were. Very frustrated we decided to change the legs all together and keep the sawhorses for later projects. So the next day we bought more wood and made legs out of 4x4's and brackets. Once that was done we had a ton of sanding to do. 

Then for the staining. 

Last step was covering it with protectant. I was going to use polyurethane and ended up having to use it on the legs but used lacker on the rest of it because I was able to spray it on. 

Look at that shine! Beautiful. So it was all ready to go when we moved into the house and looks beautiful in our dining room.

Dining Chairs

Next up was dining chairs to go with my dining table. I didn't want the round chairs that are cheap and everyone has. I wanted something more square and cushioned if possible. But I wanted to spend under $100. I lucked out and found some chairs for $75 on KSL.com. 6 cushioned chairs!
Perfect for my table. So I got the chairs and stained them the same color as the table but left the brush marks on to give it sort of a rustic look. 


I then cleaned all the cushions and put them back on.
Viola! As I cleaned the cushions I realized how dirty they were and decided to reupholster them. It took a while to get all the material off but I was able to recover them all. 

 Painting!

The project I just finished is painting my kitchen wall. I really wanted a blue kitchen but the way the walls are set up I can't paint all the kitchen walls or else Id have to paint the dining room wall too. So I decided I would just paint an accent wall. I needed a color that would go well with the tile backsplash so I chose a darker blue. 
 Before

 After!
I am absolutely in love with the color. We really needed a pop of something in here. 

Craft Table

Another project I did was my craft table. I bought two 3 tier shelves and a piece of plywood that I screwed on top of them to create a counter height craft table. It was super easy and very useful. I love it!


Future

My next project is going to be our guest bathroom. It is very dark and doesn't have much lighting so I am going to paint it a very light blue to try and brighten it up. Eventually I am going to stain all the cabinets in the house. I also am going to make a storage bench for the end of my bed out of a shelf that I currently have laying there. I will put shelves in the master bathroom and one day far in the future put wood shelves into all the closets. I also would like to paint my front door and all the trim on the outside of the house. So many more projects to come! 

If you want more information on my projects please ask questions! Thanks for reading. 












Comments

Popular Posts